PGY1 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training.
Our goals are to teach the skills necessary for a hospital pharmacist to provide:
- Patient-centered care
- Respect and compassion
- High quality, measurable outcomes
- Continuous learning and improvement
- Community health
- Financial stewardship
Reasons for Choosing Centra Pharmacy Residency
- Excellent faculty-to-resident ratio
- Provide pharmacy services to a diverse population
- Over 800 hospital beds receiving admissions from a large region
- One of the busiest emergency departments in Virginia, often referred to as the “front door” to Lynchburg General Hospital
- State of the art informatics: prescriber order entry, decentralized automated dispensing, bedside barcode scanning, decentralized clinical consulting
Reasons for Choosing Lynchburg
- Lynchburg, Virginia, population 75,000 in a metropolitan area of 220,000 adjacent to the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Low cost of living, friendly people, moderate climate with four beautiful seasons
- A historical city founded in 1786 on the banks of the James River. Many Civil War sites and home of “Poplar Forest” Thomas Jefferson’s summer retreat.
- An educational center with five colleges: Sweet Briar College, Randolph College, Lynchburg College, Liberty University, and Central Virginia Community College.
- A variety of cultural events including art galleries, community symphony orchestra, ballets, concerts, and plays
- Outdoor activities including hiking, biking, fishing and boating
- Sporting events include the Virginia 10 Miler, Centra Virginia Invitational Tennis, and the Lynchburg Hill Cats professional baseball
- Home of the first “Snowflex” in the United States offering year round snow sports