Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT®)
What is LSVT BIG?
LSVT BIG is an intensive therapy exercise program for people living with Parkinson's disease. The program focuses on strength, movement, balance, coordination and function with carry over to every day life activities. Each treatment focuses on the production of large amplitude (BIGGER) whole body movements.
These treatments have been shown to provide the following benefits:
- Improved walking (bigger steps, faster speed, decreased fall risk and improved balance)
- Improved movement quality with bigger and more controlled movements to increase independence with dressing, self cares, cooking and mobility
- Improved balance
- Increased trunk rotation
- Overall increase in quality of life
How is the program delivered?
Centra's LSVT BIG Program is directed by LSVT certified physical and occupational therapists. BIG is an intense exercise program and requires a commitment of 16, 60-minute sessions administered over four weeks.
Treatment consists of:
Individual 1 hours sessions
- Daily homework practice
- Daily carryover exercises
LSVT BIG will help you establish a LIFE-LONG HABIT of BIG PRACTICE!
Research suggests that you should NOT wait until you begin to experience disability, impaired function or loss of balance to start exercise-based physical therapy. LSVT BIG techniques train individuals with PD and other neurological conditions to use bigger movements anywhere, anytime in daily living. This empowers individuals with the potential they have to keep moving and stay active.
LSVT BIG treatment:
- Trains a single target of ampli-tude (bigger movements)
- Drives intensive and high-effort practice
- Teaches the amount of effort required to produce normal movements
- Translates bigger movements into real-world, everyday activi-ties
- Empowers people with PD with their potential to improve!
LSVT BIG will teach you how to avoid inactivity and keep your movements ALIVE during everyday activities. It will help you participate fully and improve the quality of your life.
Make the commitment today….
Visit the LSVT website for more information on LSVT BIG.