Aquatic therapy allows you the ability to enjoy the benefits of exercise without the usual associated discomfort caused by excessive stress on the joints. You will be amazed at what you are able to accomplish in this type of environment.
Aquatic therapy allows patients to exercise effectively in a non-weight bearing position and without pain. This program is ideal for those who have swelling in joints, people who have had surgeries, and people who need the benefits of a heated pool. There are many reasons to use Aquatic Therapy:
- Aids in recovery from Orthopedic Surgery
- Little to no impact on joints
- Buoyancy (up to 90% of our body weight is removed)
- Reduced pain & muscle spasm
- Increased range of motion
- Increased relaxation
- Increased circulation
- Decreased swelling
- Decreased rehabilitation time (because movement can be initiated easier)
- Cardiovascular conditioning
- Accelerates healing process
- Allows patients mobility and freedom
- Great for back rehabilitation
- Recover from knee injuries quicker
- Manage fibromyalgia and chronic pain
- Alleviate arthritis
Our therapists will set up an individualized program for you which will be tailored to your needs and will help you return to your previous level of activity. The therapist will work one-on-one with you and will prescribe specific home exercises and teach you strategies to reduce the chance of re-injury. Your rehabilitation plan of care may also include progression to land based therapy as you gain strength and stability.
Centra's aquatic therapy program is available at our Jamerson Family YMCA location. For more information please call 434.237.8160.