Excellent educational opportunity
Centra’s summer Health Career Camp provides three days of robust hands-on activities and observational experiences for middle and high school aged students interested in exploring the exciting world of health care careers. Students will have the opportunity to participate in hands-on learning with Centra staff throughout various Centra facilities.
Topics that will be covered during the camp sessions will differ slightly depending on the age group of the campers. By the end of the camp, we hope students will have a broad understanding of the career opportunities available to them and the pathways they can take to enter these exciting and fast-growing careers!
Middle School Career Camp
Dates: July 25-27, 2023
Time: 8:30 am - 3 pm
High School Career Camp
Dates: August 2-4, 2023
Time: 8:30 am - 3 pm
Camp sessions will include:
- Community Health
- Infection Prevention
- Family and Friends CPR
- Medical Laboratory and Pathology
- Oncology/ Cancer Service
- Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy
- Exercise Science/Sports Medicine
- Resume Building from HR
- Simulation of Patient Experience
Centra Health Career Camp Requirements
- Must have a genuine interest in a career within health care
- For the duration of camp, you must have reliable transportation to and from the facilities every day.
- Must complete the application found on this webpage by 5 p.m. Friday, April 28, and include an essay as explained on the application. (Essays are the determining factor for acceptance into the camp.)
- The camp fee is $30.00 (cash or check). Checks can be made payable to Centra Health, Inc. Payment is due once the student has been accepted into the camp and turns in the required onboarding paperwork by the deadline that will be provided. The camp fee will be non-refundable after July 1, 2023.
- Must have proof of a current TB Skin Test (documentation of receiving a TB Skin Test must be no older than one year).
- Must provide proof of the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof of vaccination must include both doses if from Moderna or Pfizer, or one dose if from Johnson & Johnson, and be at least 14 days past the last dose given in the series. For those who qualify for a medical or religious exemption, we can accept it as a replacement for the vaccine. For questions around how to apply for an exemption, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A $30 camp fee covers the cost of one t-shirt, two lunches provided for two of the camp days, light breakfast snacks and supplies for the camp for one camper. Please see additional details regarding payment above under Camp Requirements. Campers will need to pack or bring money for one of the camp days, which will be communicated at a later date.
Location of Camp
The camp location will be provided in a detailed schedule closer to the start date. The location(s) may include Lynchburg General Hospital, Virginia Baptist Hospital, Centra Simulation Center and Alan B. Pearson Regional Cancer Center. If you are a resident of the Farmville area, consider participating in our career camp at Southside Community Hospital. Learn more here
We ask that students wear the Health Career Camp T-shirt that will be provided; a pair of clean, presentable khaki pants or capris; and a clean pair of comfortable shoes (no sandals or open-toed shoes, for safety reasons). No perfume or cologne for patient allergy reasons.
The student will be notified of their acceptance into the camp via email by a Centra staff member by Friday, May 19, 2023. At this time, the required onboarding paperwork will be sent for the student to begin working on. If the student does not receive acceptance into the camp, they will be placed on a waiting list and will be notified if an open spot has been made available.
Camp availability will be capped at 25 total students for each camp.
Applications are due by April 28, 2023, at 5 pm.