Dr. Tavaf is board certified in Thoracic Surgery and Surgery. After earning his medical degree from University of Wisconsin - Madison, he received additional training through a residency and an internship in general surgery at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. He also completed multiple Cardiothoracic Surgery Residencies at Harvard Medical School/Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, West Roxbury Veterans Administration Hospital and Boston Children’s Hospital. He loves caring for the Lynchburg community because it is so close-knit, and everyone seems to know everyone. When he is not providing care at the Heart and Vascular Institute, he likes to spend his time with his family at their cabin on the James River.
- Thoracic Surgery, Harvard Medical School Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, June 2002
- Surgery, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, June 1994
- General Surgery, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, June 1999
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, June 1993
- Board Certified in Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
- Diplomate of the American Board of Surgery
- Diplomate American Board of Thoracic Surgery